internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Joey Carr <joey AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:59:16 -0400 (EDT)

First of all, no doubt the Ba'athists are uniformly horrible people, ought
to be executed to the last, but even if that were fact it would not excuse
an unjust war.

I wanted to admonish you to check you figures about how many Iraqi
casualties occured... certainly there were more than a couple thousand,
they were dying three hundred to an "engagement".

But, perhaps not suprizingly, there's almost no reliable information
available on the subject.

Here's the most reputable source I could find quickly:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/nightline/World/iraq030528_casualties.html

This source lists:
620 civilian deaths in Baghdad, 256 in Najaf, 425 in Karbala and as many
as 1,100 in Nasiriyah

Anyone find a better count? Now, that's just a couple thousand civilian
deaths; as everybody knows, once you don a uniform you're no longer human
and not worthy of anyone's sypathies.

-Joey

--
Like the ski resort of girls looking for husbands and husbands looking
for girls, the situation is not as symmetrical as it might seem.