internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:08:41 -0400

On Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003, at 21:44 US/Eastern, Shea Tisdale wrote:

I don't think Linux is a good choice for a casual home user who needs help
from their son to maintain thier computer.

Shea gets it! Craig forgot to mention that 1) his parents live in Scotland, so no hands-on help is available 2) they bought their first-ever computer about 6 months ago, and computers are a lot more expensive there, so any change in technology is out of the question.

I must say, it was hysterical the other week when they got hit by the blaster worm. Craig, without an MS box to refer to and with no particular instructions other then the description of the virus on the web, was able to walk his parents through regedit and some command-line stuff to clean out the worm. I was extremely impressed. Just have to brag on my hub!

Diana