internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:52:20 -0400

only the ZoneAlarm Pro suite has the cookie and .js filtering. and of course that can be configured away. most everyone i know who uses ZA chooses the freeware version, which is actually the best piece of the suite. it's useful even when a 'real' firewall is in place as it monitors outbound traffic on a per process level. it even recogizes when changes are made to binaries of connection-permitted software.

highly recommended. (though you may need to set up the initial permissions for the parent's e-mail client and browser).

best when used with a good A/V solution and reasonably secure software.have you tried Mozilla? very few incoming alerts when used in conjunction with a firewall/router/NAT/switch type of device.

this setup, minus the network device, easily passed the Mom Test for me.

--rt

use with