internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: craigduncan AT contentdb.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:02:23 -0400 (EDT)

.:Does anyone have any recommendations for firewall products compatible
.:with Windows XP(Home Edition or other) and is there something better
.:than Norton anti-virus.

We use McAfee's VirusScan 7 on XP machines at the office and it doesn't
seem to interfere too much. As for firewalls, I hear decent things about
ZoneAlarm, but haven't tried anything. All my home machines are behind
NAT boxen.

.:I would also be curious to know if there are
.:any hardware firewalls that use dial-up for home use that they could
.:use.

Yep. It's called "linux on a 486/Pentium with a modem". Not too
difficult to configure; needs an old computer, an ethernet NIC, and a
modem; no monitor required. (Ie, cheap, but depending on your ability
level, possibly a pain in the ***.) You can get Linux distros designed
specifically for routing/NAT configurations -- www.smoothwall.org and
others. (I have no good recommendations here; everything I've used is
outdated. Anyone know if the Linux Router Project's still active?)

Netgear's RM356 is a router for dialup. Linksys doesn't seem to have a
similar product, or it's not obvious from their website. Netgear's
offering doesn't seem to offer much in the way of firewall options, but a)
marketing may be clueless or b) it may be hackable enough that you can
install your own.

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)