internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:14:28 -0400

On 6/13/03 2:05 PM, "Steven Champeon" <schampeo AT hesketh.com> wrote:

> on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:44:08PM -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

>>> I've been considering doing this as well. What is everyone's opinion on
>>> blocking incoming mail from dynamic IP ranges? There are probably
>>> Internetworkers running mail servers at home off residential class
>>> broadband
>>> access. Is it reasonable to bounce your mail in an effort to reduce SPAM
>>> hitting my mailbox?
>>
>> Well, that depends on you, of ccourse, but I'm getting pretty sick of
>> not being able to use direct-to-MX delivery from my machine. For most
>> of my email I have do use the ISP outgoing mail server, so now
>> everything is going through them.
>
> So contact your ISP and have them assign you rDNS for your IP that
> doesn't resolve to
>
> durham-ar1-4-64-253-233.durham.dsl-verizon.net

If I am using a DUN RBL (list of Dial-Up Networking address), does it matter
what his reverse lookup is? I figure he will be in the block listed as DUN
by Verizon, and get blocked. Either the user or ISP would need to report
that specific IP to all of the DUN RBL's and have it removed. Not sure if
that would happen, based on all of the time necessary.

Also, if anyone cares, AOL claims to block all incoming mail from DUN
addresses. This caused me to abandon my home SMTP server, when mail to users
at AOL was not delivered.

David