internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:54:52 -0400

on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:39:32PM -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> "It was written once upon a time (by Steven Champeon):"
> > So contact your ISP and have them assign you rDNS for your IP that
> > doesn't resolve to
> >
> > durham-ar1-4-64-253-233.durham.dsl-verizon.net
> >
> > AFAICT, it's no different from the tens of thousands of open proxies
> > running on all the other DSL/Cable/dialup hosts out there. And though
> > I, too, lament the passing of the old 'Net with all of its trust and
> > gentle ways, I also lament the massive waste of time spent fighting spam.
> > And I'll take what measures I can to prevent that waste.
>
> Well, it's not an open proxy nor is it easily hackable (well
> administered, y'know) :-)

Well, yeah, I don't doubt it. But how am I supposed to let sendmail know?
Without a decent whitelisting DNSBL (DNSWL?) we're out of luck, and even
then, if the IP is dynamically assigned, it wouldn't be much good.

> And Verizon wants too much money for static IPs and custom name service.

I guess it is all a matter of how much you want to run a mail server on
that dynamic IP.

> But up until September, I had no problems with mail delivery directly,
> then AOL and RoadRunner blocked dynamic IPs and it was practically over.

I get the sense that things are quickly coming to a head. Some think
this is a sign of spammers' desparation, others think it is a sign of
worse things to come. I'm not taking any chances.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier