internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DSL Advice?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DSL Advice?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:19:57 -0500

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 03:50 PM, Craig Duncan wrote:

With deteriorating cable service from TWC, we are looking at DSL as a
replacement. We run several computers from our home office and wondered if
anyone else on the list is already doing this and has any advice to offer?

TWC was out both at home in CH and at the office in Raleigh all afternoon yesterday and about an hour this morning. Its embarrassing to have to regularly explain to customers that their projects weren't done on time because:

1. The power was out.
2. The internet connection was down.

Unfortunately DSL isn't more reliable at least in my experience. We got DSL in the office a year or so ago and after working OK for a month it just stopped working suddenly. BellSouth said their *business class* service had a 48 hour wait before someone could look at the problem, which wasn't a problem because I could always use a modem!

The alternative is a Covad partner, and their service was even worse, as the Covad partner would blame Covad who would blame BellSouth who would blame Covad. If you think dealing with BellSouth is bad trying dealing with 3 separate companies all intent on blaming the other.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is nothing to be ashamed of.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC