internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] chili

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Caugherty <caffeine1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] chili
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:37:23 -0500

After spending a year in New Mexico, I was very impressed with
hot green chili. Forget the tomatoes, the brown sugar, etc. that
was foisted on an unsuspecting public (by Texans no doubt).
A foundation of green chili peppers, pinto beans, sauteed ground beef,
salt and garlic IMO works best. (Don't be fooled; a green chili
can be just as hot as a red one.)

What I really enjoyed about NM is that you could buy frozen diced
green chilis, guaranteed farm fresh, by the pound. They're sold
in cottage cheese tubs, ready to use. Unfortunately, as you'd
expect, it's a regional thing (like the miles of counters containing
frozen pounds of pizza dough in New York supermarkets). It's no
coincidence that the best cheeseburger I ever had was a green chili'ed
variety from the Sonic in Los Alamos.

I haven't made chili that compared to those early batches way
back when (*sob*).

l8r,
-- Dan C.