internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] snowing in Chapel Hill

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • Cc: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] snowing in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:38:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Bill Geschwind wrote:

> Whenever I drive around after a good snowfall there are usually a bunch
> of vehicles stuck in the ditch beside the road and usually about half of
> those vehicles are 4WD trucks. Yes, 4WD/AWD does wonders for traction,
> but it does absolutely nothing whatsoever for steering and breaking.
> Whatever you do, do NOT let yourself be lulled into a false sense of
> security with your AWD.

As a friend pithily phrased it, "Four wheel drive doen't mean four wheel
stop."

And my favorite driving in snow story is from high school (Charlotte) when
snow cancelled class midday but the buses weren't ready to roll on the
snowy roads. One of my classmates had a dad who collected military
vehicles, so dad came to pick her and her friends up in his WWI halftrack
truck. I was having flashbacks to the Rat Patrol.

Steve
--
Steve Burnett burnett AT pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval