internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:24:27 -0500

Austin, Roger D. wrote:

I know that some of you have cable modem access with TWC RoadRunner.
We have had it about a month and it doesn't seem very reliable. How
much uptime should we expect?

We've been with the 'railroad' in Raleigh's Five Points for a couple of years now. For the most part, the network connectivity has been good. There have been a couple of notable drop-outs, but they were resolved quickly enough. Speed can be dependent on others on your local segment.

POP and SMTP service have suffered some pretty major outages, one lasting more than three days. SMTP delivery times can get longish at times. (They seem to be outsourcing their NNTP services, I wish they'd do the same with mail.) Overall, it's been OK.

Hopefully what you're seeing is an anomoly. I know they suffered a fiber cut late yesterday afternoon that disabled a good portion of their Raleigh cable and IP network.

--rt