internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:06:49 -0500

This discussion appears from time to time on the computer support list
at UNC. The gist of the discussion usually is that both DSL and cable
can be either very reliable or very spotty depending on where you are
located. It can go from good to bad and back to good literally from one
block to the next within the same neighborhood. If you are able to get
both, try one, and if it turns out to be flakey, try the other instead.

Personally, I have had DSL since late '99 and have had maybe three or
four outages that lasted more than a couple of minutes; one of them just
the other day.

- Bill