internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cable Modem Blues
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:46:27 -0500

We have had RR for more than a year now, with mostly good experience. They had a few slowdowns and outages at first, but we haven't had any serious problems for a while.

I suggest that you contact their tech support -- you have to be persistent -- and tell them about your problems. I don't know for sure, but this may lead to them at least checking on your connection and tweaking it appropriately. Upon the advice of one such IP monkey, I have also found it to be useful to power cycle the cable modem if the connection seems slow. Leave it off for five minutes for so and then turn it back on again. Haven't had to do that much lately, either.

TaB

Gina Norman wrote:
So, here's what's been happening to me: All will be well with the world and
then the cable modem will up-and-drop my connection for no apparent reason.
For example, it'll be fine when I check my mail before I go to bed at night
(see why I resisted the home computer for so long), then dead when I check
it the next morning and *nothing* will have changed from a system
perspective in the interim.

I have a hub (if I were clever I could tell you what brand name, but I can't
for the life of me remember) and a Wireless Thingy (Linksys, I am almost
sure). When Jeff's over he connects his laptop to my little network, BUT
the dropping doesn't only happen when he connects or disconnects (which is
what TWC had suggested to me).

Any ideas?

-Gina

Gina Norman