internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] citizen apathy
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:09:08 -0400

At 01:29 PM 10/9/2002 -0400, David R. Matusiak wrote:
>heh. and this is exactly the problem that has been so disturbing
>to me.
>
>all these tech-savvy, broadly-educated, supposedly egalitarian folks
>worldwide and no one can make a definitive statement on anything.

Definitive? I have a definitive statement for you: I don't yet know what I think the answer is, but I think John Ashcroft is the antichrist. Howzzat?

My impression of discussions like this on this particular mailing list hasn't left me feeling that it's a group with which I want to discuss this topic. Our debating tactics here haven't historically been congenial to me - I perceive them as moving fairly quickly past "passionate but friendly and respectful" into "rancorous, hostile, and disrespectful", and while I may be misperceiving, my own perceptions inform my decision of whether to participate. That's not to say I think the folks here debate incorrectly, or even that they *are* rancorous and hostile and disrespectful, or to suggest that I think they should debate some other way. It means *I* don't plan to debate it here, because of my perception of past debates and the level of rancor with which I'm willing to deal. It also doesn't mean I'm not having the discussion with other people I respect, who respect me, in a manner that's conducive to coming to a conclusion about what I think we should do. C'mon, Dave, just because I don't wanna talk about it here doesn't mean I'm not talking about it elsewhere, or that I'm even a little bit apathetic.

As for whether I think my opinion counts, I can assure you that I'm *far* more convinced of the importance of my own opinion than I probably have any reason to be. Oh yeah, I think my opinion counts.

[snip]
>if you want to silence me, then i wish you the best of luck.

I sincerely hope you don't suppose that my silence is an attempt to silence you.

That'd be weird indeed.

Cheers!
-Rachel
Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
Image is only the beginning. Knowledge is profitable.
http://www.hesketh.com/proof/white_papers/