internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anyone see the Bush speech?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anyone see the Bush speech?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:19:05 -0400

<snip>

> 5) Should the there be "regime change" in Iraq who
> will replace Saddam? Will the new government be able
> to hold itself together in the long run?

Something I learned recently watching the hearings on Iraq is that there are
something like 600K to 800K Shi'ite refugees that fled into Iran during the
Iran/Iraq war. What will they do if Saddam is taken out? Will they flood
back into their home country? Will they want a a stake in the new
government? What kind of humanitarian aid will be necessary to accomodate a
mass influx of a half million people returning to a country in chaos?

Rowland