internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] citizen apathy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Eric Wolfram <ewolfram AT infinex.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] citizen apathy
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:17:57 -0700

At 02:51 PM 10/11/02 -0400, you wrote:
>http://www.forbes.com/2001/09/27/400.html
>
>Took a net worth of about $600M to make the list this year.
>
>> Hm. That's funny - I always thought the Bush family was
>> relatively poor
>> and nouveau riche.

It's semantics at this point. I consider anyone in the top 1% (all
60,000,000 of us) to be among the richest people in the world, and
therefore I am still convinced that Barbara Bush, her parents, and her
direct kin are absolutely among the richest in the world.

http://www.capitalismmagazine.com/2000/december/her_onepercent.htm
According to this source: "How much do you have to make per year to be a
One Percenter? $10 million? $5 million? $1 million? Not even close. Try
$208,000-which, if you think about it, is well within reach of a lot of
folks, especially dual-income professional couples who invest wisely." This
article also says that "executives or managers" are typically in the top 1%.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/firstladies/bb41.html
This article says that Barbara Bush was born in 1925 to Pauline and Marvin
Pierce, who later became president of McCall Corporation. A president of a
US corporation, then as now, is almost certainly among the top 1%.

Fourth generation wealth is not nouveau -- by definition.

Eric (will happily beat a dead horse just as much as the next guy) Wolfram

http://wolfram.org/