internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The value of an MBA

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The value of an MBA
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:19:42 -0400

I read that article, and find that the generalizations the author makes about business schools do not fit with my experience at Kenan-Flagler. Most of the coursework was directly relevant to the real world, and most of the profs had significant real-world experience and/or exposure. My b-school education certainly had a lot more relevance to life and the way the world works than my law degree did 10 years earlier.

I find one consistent theme between b-school and law school, however. The students who go for the degree with the primary purpose of getting a "ticket" to some sort of high-paying career path do not usually have an optimal experience. They get their ticket without an understanding of what they're doing and what they really want. If you go with an intellectual curiousity, an open mind, a sense of the value in the journey and a willingness to follow where things lead, any good academic program will change your life for the better.

TaB