internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anyone see the Bush speech?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anyone see the Bush speech?
  • Date: 08 Oct 2002 18:56:29 -0400

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 18:05, Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:

> I guess no one bothered to inform Jose that the incubators thing was a
> complete myth, planted to help drum up support for the Gulf War.

Actualy, it's "Josep".

Then, the myth was not an American invention. Kuwait lied to the US
congress. See for example:

http://www.newsfrombabylon.com/article.php?sid=2236
http://www.urbangruv.com/cgi/archives/00000223.htm

> Or that the US sold Hussein most of the weapons he used against the
> Kurds, and provided him with military intelligence in the Iran war.

I already have said in my post that Iraq was seen as the US ally in the
area against the religious revolution in Iran. Read it again.

> Or that the head of the last UN Inspection Team said that Hussein's
> entire capacity to build WMD's had been completely obliterated and it
> would take many many years for him to rebuild, even if he weren't under
> embargo.

The papers from IISS indicate that they are still a danger, a growing
danger. This indicates that they are rebuilding their facilities and
capabilities.

Also, to get Anthrax, you do not need enormous facilities. A low-tech,
home-style kind-of-lab is enough.

> Or that the US is in a recession, and GWB really needs a war to keep
> peoples attention away from more pressing issues that could hurt the GOP
> in November.

It's a possibiblity, yes.

> Or that the net loss of one Senate seat to the Republicans in November
> would put us in a position of having all three branches of the Federal
> Government under the control of the GOP. Forget Constitutional checks &
> balances folks, it's King George and the American Empire time. Hope you
> have your passports already. I hear Canada's going to be warmer in about
> five or ten years.

Even Dubbya cannot change the constitution. This is the democratic US,
not a Junta-style place. If you do not like the current representatives,
vote. Complaining and emigrating to Canada won't solve the problem.

> Oh, did I say I'm against the war?

> paula

"Always war" as a solution is bad. As bad as it is "Never war". Have you
ever trained a puppy? Do you know what happened to Lebanon? Who
remembers Chamberlain and the British cabinet that wanted to talk out of
war some not-so-friendly central European nation? Have you ever seen
Milosevich repented of anything that he ordered?

If you have no stick, there's no point of being nice. If you have a big
stick, hold by a group of nations determined to use it, then, yes, you
can possibly skip waging war to Iraq.

But not even considering the war option, in this case, with the record
of the ruling Ba'as party in the last 20+ years... is just wrong,
hypocrite and unrealistic. Avoiding all possibilities of confrontation
today can very well mean a worst scenario a few years down the road.

Whoever criticized Israel for blowing up Iraqi's Nuclear facilities in
the '80s has to be very glad that Saddam wasn't a nuclear power in the
gulf War.

Salut,
Josep
--