internetworkers - Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Gina Norman <gina AT vnet.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

I was contacted by Fox and asked to remove a (correctly atrributed)
Simpsons quote from my site years ago.

The really frustrating thing was that From a legal perspective, I know
that I was within the parameters of "fair usage": it was a single line,
correctly attributed, from a much larger body of work, used for the
purposes of parody or criticism.

That being said, I wasn't going to fight Fox over it, so I pulled it.

Sigh.

-Gina

(The quote, for those of you that are dying of curiousity, was "Must
monitor website" and was followed by "That was a Simpsons reference for
those of y'all that were paying attention.")

> i know very little about this subject, but over the years i have gotten the
> impression that attorneys for Fox Broadcasting spend their time doing little
> else other than crushing the hopes and dreams of millions of Simpson's fans.
>
> anxiously awaiting the implosion of the intellectual property cartels,
> dave ;)
> ___ _ _____ . ....
> m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t
> ------ / / ......... . . .
>
> On Mon, 20 May 2002, Dallas Smith wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Another listserv I'm on for VW busses, (I've got a '71) has been
> > contacted
> > by Volkswagen of America (VWOA) recently and asked to remove the VW logo
> > on
> > their website or club names. One person was making and selling clocks he
> > made out of old VW Bus hubcaps and even though VWOA no longer sells bus
> > parts, they told him he wasn't allowed to because the hubcaps have the VW
> > logo on them. This is the liscence agreement they're sending out
> > (http://vwlicense.ipprotector.com/gtc.html). Has anyone seen this happen
> > with any other companies? Is this similar to how pop stars will try and
> > stop their fan sites? Can they really do this?
> > Thanks,
> > Dallas
> > --
> > Dallas Smith
> > dallas.smith AT pobox.com
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/~sallad

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: gina AT vnet.net

My brain seems to have a circuit-breaker-like mechanism that, when I get
confused and befuddled by the overwhelming monstrosities of my life,
causes a default to the simplest and most pleasant of thoughts. Like
Marshmallow Peeps. I *like* Marshmallow Peeps.

Gina Norman And the only bit that
gina AT vnet.net (me personally) really matters:
ginanorm AT nortelnetworks.com (me at work) http://users.vnet.net/gina
ginathelintqueen AT yahoo.com (me personally, again -- sick of me yet? ;)