internetworkers - Logo Liscencing on the Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dallas Smith" <dallas.smith AT pobox.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Logo Liscencing on the Internet
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:24:07 -0400

Hello,
Another listserv I'm on for VW busses, (I've got a '71) has been contacted
by Volkswagen of America (VWOA) recently and asked to remove the VW logo on
their website or club names. One person was making and selling clocks he
made out of old VW Bus hubcaps and even though VWOA no longer sells bus
parts, they told him he wasn't allowed to because the hubcaps have the VW
logo on them. This is the liscence agreement they're sending out
(http://vwlicense.ipprotector.com/gtc.html). Has anyone seen this happen
with any other companies? Is this similar to how pop stars will try and
stop their fan sites? Can they really do this?
Thanks,
Dallas
--
Dallas Smith