internetworkers - Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 00:44:45 -0400

This kind of trademark policing is part of a larger pattern of extending the grasp of intellectual property by large corporate rights-holders. While the music industry is at the center of this, the effort to turn IP ownership into something more akin to real estate is pretty broad-based.

I think a lot of stems from FUD directly related to the effect of the network on IP. But more so, the last 20 years have seen a greater understanding of the definition and significance of IP in business in general.

Y'all gotta read Todd Morman's commentary in this/last week's Spectator.
http://www.spectatoronline.com/2002-05-15/notebook_metrocolumn.html
Good old Todd takes a Time-Warner/AOL hack to task for ... well, you have to read it.

So yes, "fair use" still has force in the law, including trademark law. But the Fat Cats are going to try and bully it out of existence.

TaB