internetworkers - Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo Liscencing on the Internet
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:20:28 -0400

A trademark is protected as the unique identify of specific goods or services. It arises out of consumer protection law, to ensure that consumers can reliably judge the source of things they buy. So you can't let your trademark go running loose and associating with all manner of other things that you don't have control over. You need to be able to control the quality and reputation associated with your own logo.

On the other hand, the public does have a right to discuss the quality and reputation associated with that trademark and to use the trademark itself. It is first amendment, it is fair use.

The thing about the clocks made from the VW hubcaps is an interesting question, because the hubcap/logo does come from Volkswagen, and therefore does identify the source of the goods. But it is a derivative use, modified from VW's intent. I'd have to read up more on the subject there.

TaB