internetworkers - amusing spam filtering story

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: amusing spam filtering story
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

AT&T's FILTER FILTERS AT&T's MAIL

An example of foot-in-mouth filtering? AT&T Broadband offered its
high-speed Internet users an e-mail software filter to block spam, but
later found out that it had blocked its own messages to customers
notifying them of a rate increase. An AT&T executive tried to put the best
face on it: "If there is a silver lining, it appears our spam filtering
system works so well that it even deletes mass e-mails from our own
company." The company will resend customer notices of the rate increases.
(AP/USA Today 2002)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/05/22/e-mail-filter.htm