internetworkers - Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger D." <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:31:16 -0400

I think that platform independence is the real issue. Debating Linux vs. MS
vs. OSX is really a moot point. Wouldn't it be more productive to have a web
based, platform independent solution to these things? If the school IT
people only had to get web browsers working (on whatever platform,) it would
take a huge load off of those people.
Why not put the IT heavys in a more central location running HTTP based
applications instead of everyone wanting to run their own applications in
every school? Of course, they would need to write to W3C standard, etc.
Right?

"Idiots writing laws" is a catchy phrase. Isn't this an election year? Have
you registered to vote? Roger (in RTP writing HTTP based solutions to
problems and getting giddy.)

<snip>