internetworkers - Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux
  • Date: 24 Apr 2002 15:12:53 -0400

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 15:00, Paul Cory wrote:
> Here again we hit the staff rub - no the IT staff, but the general
> staff. They'll need some training as well. Plans will have to be made to
> get them up to speed: space located, classes scheduled, trainers found,

Hmm. You've not read Robin Miller's piece on the transition made from a
Windows XX environment to a 100% Linux/KDE environment in Largo,
Florida. Robin says it much more eloquently than I can in the original
story :

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239&mode=thread

> ground and using almost all of the available training labs, it's going
> to take us 9 months to get all our teachers trained. Implementing Linux
> would take a similar training effort.

*snip* Don't be so sure. You know what happens when you "assume" *grin*

> Didn't say it made sense from my perspective, although knowing just what
> a hole DPI is in in terms of manpower, I can understand the rationale
> behind it. :-) Dealing wth this means getting into a debate over the
> state of computer training in this state, and I don't have the energy
> for that right now. I'll just say that you wouldn't ask a C++ programmer
> to write and administer a test for English competency and expect it to
> be very good, would you?

Point taken.

> The point is not the silliness of the tes, but that local school systems
> have to work with mandates from further up the political chain, and
> sometimes those mandates don't allow for a non-M$ or an Open Source
> option.

Or an opinion not backed by the almighty dollar, but that's a different
debate entirely *grin*

> Yep. And constructive criticism is always appreciated (if not always
> followed or followable). :-)

Agreed. I tend to want to start at the administrative level and work my
way down. if the schools need paper, perhaps the county office can do
without a new computer themselves. Somehow, it never seems to work that
way. I recall vividly my years in the Wake County schools when we didn't
have enough paper to mimeograph tests on by mid-March, but there was a
new building under construction on Old Wake Forest Road for the School
Board offices. Even then, I thought there was something wrong with the
picture....

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC 6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim