internetworkers - Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas"<mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:58:37 -0400

Thoughts:

* OS migration would require a long,
complex technical 'sale';
* Governments have some of the longest,
most complex 'sales' cycles;
* 'Sale' is a funny term for this, b/c
Linux is free. However, governments are
set up to be 'sold' to;
* Even with volunteer help, most governments
would want a single point of management
contact -- and they wouldn't be able to
manage the volunteers on their own;
* The math reveals a big business opportunity
here, but only for companies that can
sustain potentially huge Cost-of-Sales in
the early adapter phase;
* MS hasn't to do a lot of head-to-head
competition at the app/OS level for a while,
and not really since they acheived monopoly
status. The Oregeon deal is telling of the
battles to come;
* The Computers==MS Works is very interesting
and predicts continued MS dominance in the app
space, at least. After all, part of the popularity
of UNIX is that it is what CS students use
in universities.

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:26:20 -0400 "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve"
<jlguallar AT maduixa.net> wrote:

Avui, Dimecres 24 Abril 2002 03:1215pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest e-mail:
> > Here again we hit the staff rub - no the IT staff, but the general
> > staff. They'll need some training as well. Plans will have to be made to
> > get them up to speed: space located, classes scheduled, trainers found,
>
> Hmm. You've not read Robin Miller's piece on the transition made from a
> Windows XX environment to a 100% Linux/KDE environment in Largo,
> Florida. Robin says it much more eloquently than I can in the original
> story :
>

> http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239&mode=thread

Don't forget my very own article:

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/07/1545228

And also, one experiment in a poor Spanish region (Extremadura):
http://babelfish.altavista.com/urltrurl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linex.org%2Fmodules.php%3Fname%3DNews%26file%3Darticle%26sid%3D25&lp=es_en&tt=url&urltext=&doit=done

(the original, in
Spanish:http://www.linex.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=25 )

Although, where it says "What insolent!" it should say "How cool!" . Y'know,
those automated translations.

See, it is not that difficult. And those kids are using Debian, one of the
"hardest" and less "user-friendly" to install.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: mdthomas AT mindspring.com