internetworkers - Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:53:44 -0400

Just when I try to propose that irrational hate of MS is irrational...

So, I guess on one side, MS is a just a good company with an Accounts
Receivable issue and some clever marketing people. Nothing wrong with that,
right? On the other view, MS is a hypocritical near-monopoly that is muscling
schools (and thus, taxpayers) in order to lock them in to long-term contracts
in order to keep the competition (Linux) from getting a foothold.

There seems to be no center to the MS vs. anti-MS debate.

(BTW, I see the MS vs. anti-MS debate to be different than the MS vs. Linux
debate, MS vs. Apple debate, etc.)