internetworkers - Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: MS Goes After Schools Evaluating Linux
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:38:23 -0400

Avui, Dimecres 24 Abril 2002 02:1514pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest e-mail:
> On Wednesday 24 April 2002 12:09 pm, you wrote:
> > That's real money, all right, but let me put that into perspective. This
> > year, Wake County Schools are requesting $211,000,000 in local (county)
> > funding. So, we're talking less than 1/2 of 1% of the local budget. In
> > the context of our total operating budget, $750 million, it's almost
> > insignificant.

> > One more example: the state has hardware and software standards for
> > certain Workforce Development Education programs. Local schools offering
> > those programs have to meet the state standard. Linux is not mentioned
> > in those standards, and thus can't be used.

> It sounds like there's a big lobbying job ahead for open source advocates.
> In terms of government use of open source, it may be easier to go for other
> entities like city and county governments.

I am following this discussion, although not actively participating on it.
Until now.

I just want to point out that there is a Linux/OpenSource project aimed
directly at schools: http://k12ltsp.org . RedHat is a partner (or so I
remembered) so maybe they can help.

As for "massive" installations, well, Linux Terminal Server looks great.
Install one big server and let everybody else be a client. How difficult is
that? This is an administration heavensent thing.

Maybe you can get Codeweavers to provide free CorssOver plugins, so your
existing copies of MS-Office will work. At least, install the ones that you
can proove that you legaly own (be it one or ten). The majority of users
never will need more than 5% of MS-Office funcionalities. So they can well
live with OpenOffice, that covers 95% of MS-Office functionality.

As for "installfests", make an anouncement and, specially in summer, you will
get all the high-school and university geeks from the county to help out.
TriLug has experience in helping a school to get into Linux (Kevin, Hunter,
and many helped).

Not so long ago, there was a discussion on how to make Internetworkers more
involved with the community.

Well, helping schools is a nice way to help the community. And nowadays,
installing Linux is a fairly easy task. Given , say 10 voluntiers plus one
sysadmin, you can install and configure a network pretty fast. Also,
kickstart, drakfloppy and other systems help "duplicate" machines pretty
well.

Paul Jones is also involved in GeekPAC, something like a tech-lobby of some
sort. Probably he can help gather major geek honchos in NC and do something
big.

I'm into anything that can help schools, because I belive in education... and
my sister and brother are high scool teachers up in Virginia. So I know part
of the pains.

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/