internetworkers - RE: Peace Rally

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peace Rally
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:07:38 -0400

At 02:54 PM 9/21/2001 -0400, Dave Spitz wrote:
>And another way to test your theory is to ask someone in the armed services
>"which approach do you feel is more respectful?" Are you willing to wager
>the answer? I certainly am.

Disrespect is, IMO, a crime of intent. If I find it disrespectful
of you to call me a girl instead of a woman, and you believe - whether
because you don't know me personally or because you mom and her friends
like to be called girls or what have you - that calling me a girl is
acceptable and even flattering, then while I may be offended, you've
not acted with disrespect. If you know that calling me a girl will
offend me and you do it anyway, meaning to offend me, then you've
acted with disrespect.

Regards -
Rachel
Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
Image is only the beginning. http://www.hesketh.com/
hesketh.com is hiring: http://hesketh.com/careers/