internetworkers - RE: Peace Rally

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Peace Rally
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:45:31 -0400

Now for the neat, made-in-America trick: Try to understand the base of
the other's reality, and consider for a moment that they could be right,
or at least could have a point.

I understand that the more processors we have working on a problem, the
faster the solution. I believe that the wider the parameters, the more
appropriate the solution -- particularly when factoring human equations.

Consider free speech, which allows all of us to mouth off with impunity.
The underlying philosophy would allow a country full of brains to be
*unfettered* by fear of official reprisal or official dogma (scientific
as well as spiritual), free to attack a problem, mystery, issue...
singularly or en masse'. Even as an imperfectly realized ideal, as are
most human endeavors, we do find pretty good solutions when we apply our
conglomerate processing power and extraordinary range of experiences,
considerations, and knowledge bases. Why, I do believe that we're even
becoming dimly aware of the ever-present unintended consequences.

But right now, terrorists are after us -- intolerant and violent men who
not only hate the culture that the U.S. created and leads worldwide, but
who also twist their own culture to an extreme that probably has not
seen in the west since the Inquisition. They can get second-hand weapons
of mass destruction on the underground market -- and they don't need
many to do a great deal of harm. This is a big problem, and it has our
attention.

The various voices in this country are trying hard to help chart a
course through this danger. We are aroused to serious anger, but some
among us have asked, can we really live with ourselves in 10, 20 years
if we send our sons and daughters to slaughter half-starved, ignorant
farming families? So we refine the definition of our enemy. Others have
cautioned against perpetrating the cycle of violence, so we refine our
methods and attempt to target only those involved.

Still to come: strong discussion about just how many civil liberties are
we willing to give up in an effort to be safer, if that's even possible.
Also, how to handle the enemy's buddies with as little civilian damage
as possible, and maybe even make friends in the process. (It's probably
a safe bet that the vast majority of Afghani women would welcome relief,
and almost any man who has truly loved one....)

And we're all responding in our various ways.... People are joining the
armed and secret services in droves, and we are all in this together.
Folks are buying arms and ammunition at an accelerated rate, as we are a
scrappy people. Others are attending peace rallies, and we remember that
we are also a peaceful people. And we are talking, trying to find some
consensus; we all agree that the events on 9-11 were horrible, and some
response is necessary.

I celebrate the various voices that make up the USA. I cherish the ones
who present their views in rational, logical form, although I admit that
I have found foaming-in-the-mouth, total emotal rants satisfying and
entertaining as well. I hope we always speak our minds!

All of that said, I will not be at the peace rally on Sunday, for I do
not feel peaceful -- but I am glad that someone will be there.

Dave Spitz wrote:

> I think you're right.
>
> David

"B"ing mobile