internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:04:25 -0400

On 9/13/01 9:25 AM, "Thomas Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com> wrote:

> Medical Illustration wrote:
>> Just to start a discussion (as if we need to blow the list up any more than
>> it already is) how many people are ready to destroy the people who did this
>> (if we can figure out who they are-- and that's a big if, I realize) and
>> how
>> many would really be ready to turn the other cheek, or something close to
>> that.
>
> Count me out. I will not perpetuate the cycle of violence.

If the US struck back, would we be perpetuating the cycle of violence, or
breaking the cycle of non-violence.

> The perpetrators should be captured, tried and punished, but this is a
> crime, not a war. Treating it as a war would be a grievous mistake.
> War is irrational and always harms innocent people. We, as a nation,
> are above that.

I believe that supporters of the terrorists are claiming that prosecution
and imprisoning of the convicted perpetrators of the bombing of the WTC in
1993 is justification for the attack on Tuesday. Why will trying the
perpetrators of this crime make any difference? Others will come to avenge
what they see as a wrongful imprisonment.

> Look at what happened in Palestine/Israel. They were on the verge of
> peace more than once, each time turned back by assassins and terrorists
> on both sides who preferred hate and violence to peace.

I think you make a good point. Look at the level of terrorism carried out
against Israel. Nothing of the magnitude that was carried out this week
against the US. Is this because terrorists are afraid of uniting the Israeli
people against them? After all, there are factions in Israel that want peace
at nearly any price. After the 1972 Olympics, Israel sent assassination
teams to cross the globe to hunt down and execute those responsible. What
would they do if a terrorist action killed thousands or tens of thousands.

I fear the only solution is make any nation in the world afraid to harbor
terrorists. There may be only one way to do that, as the President suggested
on Tuesday--something to the effect that those that those states that harbor
terrorists will be held accountable.

How much are we willing to give up for peace? One of the division in the
world is between the "haves" and "have nots." Are we willing to give up our
way of life? Are we willing to give up our economic strength for peace? Are
we willing to give up all of our possessions? Are we willing to take our
place as a third world nation so we are no longer a target?

Waiting for the flames,
David