internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 11:56:04 -0400

I managed to avoid actually seeing that live.
I'd returned to my desk, impressed that they
were still standing. A recollection of
WWII war plane striking the Empire State Building
reassured me that everything would be better
soon. Only later did I find out about the
Pentagon and the collapse.

We may never know the motives and rationale
of the perpretrators... or they may become
all to evident. Is this the first in a long
series of devasting actions from a formidable
and unified enemy, or the act of single
committee? In the latter case, how many more
committees can we expect?

My worries about recession have been supplanted...
Instead of trying to dust of my rusty Econ 101
learning, I find myself pondering an altogether
deeper set of fundamentals about myself and the
world in which I live.

The night before all this I was reading a book
by the Dhali Lama -- inherited it from Todd
Wynn, finally getting around to reading it. The
message was about the interconnectness of all
people and that the natural state of human
beings is one of peace. I went to sleep thinking
that I might live my entire life with my nation
at peace...

I still think that the message from that book
is true and good... and feel very lucky I read
that chapter Monday night. I'm not sure I would
have believed it as much reading it today.

InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> Here are a couple of interesting comments on the collapse of the twin
towers.

http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-010911kamin-towers.story
http://home.actlab.utexas.edu/pipermail/discuss/2001-September/000226.html

Watching that take place was the worst point for me. I wept.

And then went to give blood.

TaB

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: mdthomas AT mindspring.com