internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:58:28 -0400

mdthomas AT mindspring.com wrote:
> The night before all this I was reading a book
> by the Dhali Lama -- inherited it from Todd
> Wynn, finally getting around to reading it. The
> message was about the interconnectness of all
> people and that the natural state of human
> beings is one of peace. I went to sleep thinking
> that I might live my entire life with my nation
> at peace...

Here is the Dalai Lama's letter to Bush. I must concur with his last
paragraph:

The Dalai Lama's letter to the President of the United States of America

Your Excellency,

I am deeply shocked by the terrorist attacks that took place involving
four apparently hijacked aircrafts and the immense devastation these
caused. It is a terrible tragedy that so many innocent lives have been
lost and it seems unbelievable that anyone would choose to target the
World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington D.C.
We are deeply saddened. On behalf of the Tibetan people I would like to
convey our deepest condolence and solidarity with the American people
during this painful time. Our prayers go out to the many who have lost
their lives, those who have been injured and the many more who have been
traumatized by this senseless act of violence. I am attending a special
prayer for the United States and it's people at our main temple today.

I am confident that the United States as a great and powerful nation
will be able to overcome this present tragedy. The American people have
shown their resilience, courage and determination when faced with such
difficult and sad situation.

It may seem presumptuous on my part, but I personally believe we need to
think seriously whether a violent action is the right thing to do and in
the greater interest of the nation and people in the long run. I believe
violence will only increase the cycle of violence. But how do we deal
with hatred and anger, which are often the root causes of such senseless
violence? This is a very difficult question, especially when it concerns
a nation and we have certain fixed conceptions of how to deal with such
attacks. I am sure that you will make the right decision.

With my prayers and good wishes
The Dalai Lama
September 12, 2001
Dharamsala, India