internetworkers - RE: Muslim protection?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David Wagoner" <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Muslim protection?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 07:38:40 -0400

From what I've read, the authorities are already working to protect local
Muslims, but probably only after threats have been issued. Apparently, a
Raleigh Muslim school and house of worship were closed Tuesday after
recieving threats and subsequent police protection was sent.

In a worse case, a Muslim building had the window shot out in Texas
yesterday, causing evacuation of the building.

If I read your suggestions correctly, you are referring more to grass-roots
and media efforts to preempt harrassment than to police protection. I would
agree that at least some local media coverage would help. Perhaps the good
folks at the N&O who lurk on this list will pick up on your initiative?

It would be instructive to report the differences between traditional Muslim
and Islamic practices vs. the militant sects to differentiate our local,
legal Arab population from the terrorists.

david

David B. Wagoner
Oracle Database Administrator
dbwagoner AT yahoo.com <mailto:dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>