internetworkers - Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Craig Duncan" <craigduncan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:23:57 -0400

For me, TW business class service has so far been a pleasant experience, and
set up was a snap. The technical support so far has been excellent. During
the thunder storm the other night we lost TW connectivity, I called them
first thing in the morning and within an hour I had the field technician
verifying that my service was restored - try getting your DSL & phone
provider to decide whose problem it is, let alone fix it that quickly. Total
cost for my service is approx $130/month.

If your office has less than 50 machines that need access to the Internet, a
single static IP address and a NAT router, or proxy server is all you will
need. Running multiple web sites on a single server is a snap using virtual
hosts, but if you want multiple boxes running web servers, each one will
need to use a different port (other than 80) which can be mapped on the NAT
router, otherwise you need to purchase additional IP addresses.

Please note that high traffic sites can affect performance, so even though
this type of solution is great for most small business, it may not be for
everyone. Good luck

Craig