internetworkers - Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mike Johnson <mike AT enoch.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:05:45 -0400

I usually just lurk on this list, but since this came up and my
info might be useful, here goes...

Robert Weeks [robert AT designhammer.com] wrote:
> Not to be a cheerleader for TW, but I've noticed their response time is MUCH
> better than what I had with Verizon and there is no comparison as far as
> uptime goes.

I'm actually quite happy with TW. I've had RoadRunner Business Class
for a couple months. It's been rock solid stable (just don't rely
on their DNS servers). I've had RR for well over a year now and only
had problems in the early days (as well as the above mentioned DNS
servers), but it's been -very- solid since. Actually, it's gone
down less than the frame relay it replaced.

As for the support, Business Class -goes- get 24/7. In fact, when
you call in, you leave a message and the support folk get paged, and
then you receive a call back. There's actually a service level
agreement that says how quickly they will respond (I don't remember
what it is). The two times I called (to get the static IP configured),
I received a call back in less than ten minutes, one was under five.

So far, I've had -very- good support. They added my reverse mapping
for my static IP within a couple hours of my e-mail request, which
is pretty good, considering they outsource that.

> Time Warner does offer a "Business Class" package with fixed IPs and
> priority response is given to those customers. Its something like $99 /
> month. You'll need to dig around on their web site to find it.

The pricing is a little weirder than that (and is really my only
complaint). Regular Business Class is $79, but that's with a
dynamic address. Static addresses are $50 each! So, if you need
one static address, your bill (my bill) is $129 a month. Note that
this is above and beyond any cable TV bills.

Like I said, I'm happy with this service and I have no problems
recommending it to anyone who can afford it. I went this route
because my only choices for DSL are Telocity and BellSouth (my
phone runs through a remote CO, which attaches to the main CO
via fiber). As far as I'm concerned, BellSouth is -not- an
option (plus, they didn't offer a static IP, even on their
Business Class!) and Telocity wasn't really business class
service.

If anyone has any questions, lemmie know.

Mike
--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried -- unknown