internetworkers - Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mike Johnson <mike AT enoch.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DSL/T1 providers in Raleigh?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:14:27 -0400

David Minton [david AT designhammer.com] wrote:
> The only downside I have seen with RoadRunner is the very asymmetrical
> throughput (up to 350KB/sec down but only about 35KB/sec up) and they do not
> permit serving of any kind, even on business class.

Wrong. That's what Business Class buys you. With Business Class you
can run all the servers you want, save a few bandwidth hogs such as
IRC, video and audio (just bounce through Live365 if you want to
stream audio), news, or game servers (actual servers -- hosting for
a few friends is fine). Basicly, if they see you using a lot of
bandwidth, they'll complain to you.

As for the throughput, that's the same as ADSL and RADSL. You have
to pay more for SDSL.

> The shortcoming I have not seen is that it is more of a LAN rather than a
> direct connection to the ISP the way DSL is. The bandwidth upstream is
> shared with the other subscribers in the "neighborhood" and you need to be
> more aware of security concerns. In theory (and I guess in practice) the
> more users on your network segment, the lower the available bandwidth. I
> have not seen this yet, since my RoadRunner installer told me that I am the
> only user on my segment (mine is the only house connected to the nice green
> box on the corner).

Yup. I haven't had problems with this either. At just about any time,
I can get my full 2mb pipe. I've yet to suffer any slow downs. I
-may- be the only one in my neighborhood using RR, though. Many of
the folk suffer with BellSouth DSL.

Mike
--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried -- unknown