internetworkers - Re: Justifying a Web Presence

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Josep Lluís Guallar Esteve <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Justifying a Web Presence
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:37:19 +0000

Now, my $.02

If you visit an educational web-site, the last thing that you want your
potential viewers to do is to lcick a banner!

And, also, education is way to important to make it adverstising-dependant.

Probably the government will provide with free web domains for public
schools. Then, it's up to cookie-selling or to the regular fund-giving
companies to provide for space.

Of course, you can always have a "Credits and Thanks" page were you thank
your "Mega Corporation" for paying the web-hosting service.

But, nevertheless, profit is not the way to think when dealing with education.

And, BTW, banners are a PITA. And, for poor students that conenct to those
sites, running cheap-Linux boxes, all that Java-Script stuff can crash their
browser. I'm not a non-student, but I run Linux at home. And the advertising
/banners.... stuff only makes my browsing slower and takes away invaluable
real-state space on my screen.

And at every schools there's this band of kids that already know how to build
web-pages. Make it a learning project. It will be fun... and cheap!

Salut,
Josep
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve
mailto:jlguallar AT maduixa.net

Linux User # 89976 Linux Machine # 38068