internetworkers - Re: Justifying a Web Presence

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <paulwcory AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Justifying a Web Presence
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:33:53 -0500

> Ad banners:
> You can figure $10-15 per 1000 page views on average for banner ads. If you
> have a highly targeted audience, it could be more.

From my research, those numbers sound like what you would get from selling
the ads direct. The CPM you would see from banner ad networks would be
significantly less - is this correct?

Also, I have had other folks tell me that if you can sell 75% of your page
views in a month, you're doing _extremely_ well. Is that also accurate?

The point, of course, is that to sell ads directly would require a sales
staff, which we don't have.

>A better idea might be to sell logo gear (Featuring school mascots?) via
> http://www.cafepress.com/ or similar.

Interesting. I'll have to go take a look.

> By the way, what's the current site URL?
> How many page views *do* you get per month?

For those who are interested, the site generally gets between 800,000 to
1,000,000 page views a month. The url is:

http://www.wcpss.net/

Disclaimer: The site's not perfect. My only defense is that for the most
part, I'm a one man show (yes, that means everything short of DNS and
managing the network). :-)

Paul