internetworkers - RE: Geeks & Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "John Stonham" <jmstonham AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Geeks & Diversity
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 02:31:00 GMT

From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>

Of course, if you make people feel welcome, you are more likely to see >greater participation. The word will get out. If not, you might want >to make it manditory for folks to bring their ethnically diverse co->
worker to the next event (just kidding! ;).

Hey, that's not such a bad idea! Maybe from now on, prior to the monthly meetings, we can chose a specific "minority" group we'll target. (Say, one month it'll be "Asian-American Month," the next month it will be "Economically-Challenged Month;" etc.) And every member who attends *has* to bring someone from the "Target Group of the Month," and the person they bring *has* to join InterNetworkers.

Okay, now here's the good part: If a member brings a "minority" who doesn't join InterNetworkers (regardless of the reason, as the point is to just get that darn "minority" to join...), that member gets BANNED from InterNetworkers! Granted, this may at first seem harsh, but such action will serve a dual-purpose: It'll weed out those who aren't serious about "diversity" (you know who you are!), and it will scare those who remain into trying that much harder for the next month's meeting!

Hell, before you know it, InterNetworkers will be a real high-tech "Rainbow Coalition," and all the people who might not otherwise socialize with someone from another race, culture, gender, economic class, religion, culinary preference group; etc., will be able to proudly gaze upon the stars *guilt-free* once a month and say to themselves "Hey, look at me: I talked a <insert minority here> into joining InterNetworkers this evening. Diversity quota for the month ACCOMPLISHED!"

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like a real feel-good solution to me, so let's do it! (Suggestion: Let's start by making the next meeting's Target Group of the Month "Handicapped Cherokee Lesbians".)