internetworkers - RE: Geeks & Diversity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers digest <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Geeks & Diversity
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 07:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

Perhaps the reason we don't see as many minority geeks at gatherings is
because they are exactly that - a minority (at least as it relates to the
overall geek population).

I personally think that if you look at percentages in this area, and
participation in area user groups, there is ethnic diversity but WASPs males
are still in the majority. However, there certainly has been a shift - even
in the last 10 years - of who makes up the technical workforce in the RTP
area.

BTW, the other night at the Tobacco Roadhouse, I was quite pleased to see the
mix of people who were there. Of course, if you make people feel welcome,
you are more likely to see greater participation. The word will get out. If
not, you might want to make it manditory for folks to bring their ethnically
diverse co-worker to the next event (just kidding! ;).

Joanna

Joanna Wolfe
Technical Support Manager
Oxford University Press, USA