internetworkers - RE: carrboro in the n&o

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "j. alfred prufrock" <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: carrboro in the n&o
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:28:20 -0500

Heather Hesketh wrote:
> I don't mean to sound clueless, but why is this news every 3-6 months? It
> seems like everytime I turn around there's a story in the local paper
> about how Carrboro is the new media haven of the Triangle. While I know
> you folks have reached a certain critical mass, Carrboro certainly doesn't
> have a lock on Triangle new media development. Even if it did, why is the
> same story news so often?

well, "unnamed sources" tell me there's a mighty active publicity
machine at work in carrboro that's plugged into the n&o. and you aren't
the only one to notice. it's a subject of recurring conversation in the
circles in which i travel. i heard about this story more than a couple
of weeks before it was printed. apparently, the story had been whittled
down. i heard there was to be a group photo of all the carrboro
technorati under the kicker line "a day in carrboro," harkening back to
the famous "a day in harlem" group photo of the major players in the
harlem renaissance.

the dope on the street is that if you want your name in the n&o
repeatedly, all you have to do is ask. that's pretty much business as
usual for any newspaper. the squeaky wheel gets the attention of oil.
also, local editors are pretty much starved for filler. they regularly
troll newsgroups for input. so if you have already shown yourself not to
be shy about regularly having your name in the paper, local editors will
continue to come back to you for comment.

chris calloway