internetworkers - RE: carrboro in the n&o

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: carrboro in the n&o
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:19:04 -0500

I think that Carrboro will avoid such a fate of "countless subdivisions" b/c
Carrboro is
out of space... The subdivision that you describe is the last big tract of
land in
downtown Carrboro that could be developed in such a way. Therefore, the big
developers
will probably be shut out of Carrboro, b/c it's unlikely that they would be
allowed to buy
up large tracts of existing single family homes and duplexes and make them in
to a
"proper" subdivision.

Instead, the fate of Carrboro is in the hands of the individual property
owners who can
choose to improve/sell/raise rent and the politicians that control the
zoning...

Now, obviously Carrboro as we know it won't be the Carrboro of 5 years from
now... This
whole area is changing too much to assume status quo. But the Triangle Sprawl
Monster runs
in to an old and formidable foe 'round these parts: the University of North
Carolina. The
needs of UNC's off-campus-living-parking-permit-lacking masses should
continue to drive
the best mass transit and pedestrian/bike path network in the area, and I
expect the
village atmosphere of Chapel Hill/Carrboro to be maintained. The winds of
change will blow
strong in the next few years, but I think the downtown Carrboro we know today
has strong
roots.

...However, Georgetown has maintained it's village atmosphere too, over the
years, but
only the well-monied can live there....