internetworkers - RE: carrboro in the n&o

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: carrboro in the n&o
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:33:05 -0500

> But as long as we're clearing the
> record, mark well that I am not the "administrator" of Internetworkers.
> "Instigator" or "conspirator" maybe, possibly even "co-founder" if I'm
> feeling full of myself.

I've always preferred (and used) the term "co-founder."
Internetworkers is the shared brainchild -- an experiment,
almost -- of many, and the culture of the group continues
to grow organically...

> But this is a participation-driven grouping and
> I don't want anyone to think that they couldn't be doing exactly what
> I'm doing -- or be equally active in a different direction -- in INW at
> any given moment if the spirit so moves them.

<CONCUR>
Participation is the key... whether it's educating
& stimulating us through the discussion list, helping
to organize a gathering, contributing to the web
site (coming out soon!), just having a beer with
us... or taking us in a completely different direction....

We started this group so that people could have a
fun way to meet other Internet savvy people in the
area and thus build community -- but without stifling
rules & procedures, oversight boards, mission
statements, membership requirements & fees, etc.

This model works as long as people continue to step
up, take the wheel, and decide to drive for a little while...
</CONCUR>