homestead - [Homestead] New Topic -- Lyme Disease

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] New Topic -- Lyme Disease
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:42:27 -0800

So, lots of folks on this list are east of the Mississippi and are living out on lots of acres. I have heard that Lyme Disease is rampant in some eastern states.

So, Tuesday I got bit by a lovely deer tick and, was told I was lucky. Lucky??? Here I am being diagnosed with Lyme Disease and being given horse sized pills and I'm "lucky"?

The gal in my doc's office explained that lots of folks don't find out immediately because deer ticks are tiny and most folks don't get the bull's eye ring around the bite. She also said that the ticks have an inclination to bite folks in places you don't notice right away.

Well, I guess I am lucky, we have a full-length mirror in the bathroom and when you step out the shower you get a full body view whether you like it or not :) I knew immediately and went to the doc immediately. Now I have two weeks of horse pills :)

In the greater scheme of things, I guess I am lucky.

That said, don't have a clue where the nasty little critter came from. We don't have high grass. Don't have brush (had the whole property de-brushed by the local watershed agency) and the dogs and cats all get flea and tick stuff.

What do y'all do to keep from being not so lucky with these nasty ticks?