homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tis the Season

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tis the Season
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:33:37 -0600

On Nov 14, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Raymond Zentz wrote:

> My knees don't allow me to do the constant bending and kneeling, so I am
> planning on high raised beds. Trying to decide whether or not to use wooden
> frames, or concrete. I realize that I would have to replace wooden frames
> rather often, unless I use pressure treated wood. Any problems with the
> chemicals leaching into soil? Would you all recommend concrete frames?

Ray, here was my answer a couple years ago. This raised bed is near perfect
as well as aesthetically pleasing:
http://www.ruralize.com/Genes%20Projects/ferrocement/ferrocement%20garden%20bed.html

but it was a lot of work. So for the next bed I am building thin ferro
"planks" two feet by eight feet, building them on top of foundation forms
sitting on concrete block supports so I can work at waist height. I've been
drawn from that project by an addition to the house, but it is a good,
simple, long-lasting design, though not nearly so pretty. The biggest
challenge has been moving the finished planks from the work area to the
garden bed area. So I think I will move the construction site to the side of
the bed.

I will add that the big ferro bed is this winter topped with a simple hoop
cover, with carrots, spinach and other salad stuff planted. Once high wall
are built, adding a hoop cover is easy.

I would not use pressure-treated anything in my garden. The other eight beds
are a combination of logs and planks, all expected to rot away, to be
replaced one at a time as I perfect the ferro wall approach. I like logs but
they make for thick walls that must be reached across to tend the plants.

Each garden is unique in climate, weather, soil, drainage, solar, critters
and other challenges, such as walnut trees killing plants via juglone, which
is why I made a concrete floor in this first ferro bed. So, too, each
gardener's abilities and funds budgeted to the garden. Do what feels right
for you.

Gene
www.ruralize.com