homestead - Re: [Homestead] Crohn's Disease

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Crohn's Disease
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:10:20 -0700

Don, we had patients at the rehab center with Chron's. Are they doing anything about her immune system? I know our doc was pretty insistant that getting the immune system to slow down was an immediate concern along with knowing what things in the diet would aggravate (raw veggies, lactose, high fiber, etc.) the condition. He pushed for organic foods and removal of as many chemicals from the home/environment and food as possible.

My mother had ulcerative colitis and DH had IBS. My mother wouldn't change her diet and she ended up having surgery 8 times. DH no longer has any symtoms due to diet change.

Lynda, sending all kinds of positive energy to Don's d-i-l!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

I am looking for links and information on Crohn's Disease? I have done some research and am loooking for more first hand information. A list member emailed some information several months ago and now I am looking for more.

I am currently in North Carolina, planning on leaving in the morning. My daughter in law has Crohn's and has had several nasty bouts. They have attempted to control with medicines with some success but she is getting worse. This last weekend she had a reaction to a treatment. It is a very expensive bi monthly treatment ($8000) and was a last effort before surgery. The reaction caused her heart began to fail then her lungs filled. She was put in ICU, heavily sedated and had breathing help. Early Sunday morning our son called and was in tears, she was given a less than 50% chance of survival. So by mid morning we were heading for Asheville.

I had spent the last two weeks in California getting my little pickup and a backup generator. I left Sunnyvale on Thursday morning heading east and onto a miserable trip. I had to buy four tires, take a tow truck ride, fight with the spare tire carrier in deep dust, and was the second person to come upon a nasty accident. All in all not a trip to repeat. I arrived home late Saturday night and headed east mid Sunday morning.

She has been steadily improving all week and today they took her off sedation and breathing assistance. She came around and this evening was able to talk with us and may be taken out of ICU tomorrow. Sometime in the next 7 to 10 days she will have an operation on her Colon.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU