homestead - Re: [Homestead] A change in media, and hair color

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A change in media, and hair color
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:18:29 -0400

Actually, I think I knew about dik diks, too. I have bouts of amnesia though.
Yeah, the body art henna is apparently the way to go with this. My only reservation with a henna attempt is that my hair is dyed now. There seems to be conflicting information as to whether or not you can use body art henna on dyed hair, I think you can, but I am not sure than I am willing to risk my best asset on it.
The smell-that is something I also read about. I read one sight that says ginger or cardamom will remove the scent. Apparently, some folks like the smell. How long does it make your hair smell afterwards?

Lynda wrote:
Well, I knew about the dik diks. Homeschooling and curious kidlets, doncha know <g>

As to henna, used to use it back in the dark ages. Loved it except that it stinks. Of course, I have dark hair, so I could a lovely auburn with almost bright burgandy like highlights. It is a natural product, so it doesn't give you Barbie hair.

Might not do such a hot job unless you can get some "body art" henna. Most henna sold for hair use is "compound" henna and they have metallic salts in them. Compound henna plus dyed or permed hair = dead hair. As in shave your head and start over dead, brittle, breaks off, gone. If you can find "pure" or "body art" henna, then do a test patch to see if you are going to look like a stop light or a strawberry blonde or something inbetween.

Back in the day we only had the pure henna and you mixed it with lemon juice or vinegar, hence that really yucky smell. With the "pure" or "body art" hennas your hair comes out really shiney, silky and no split ends.

Lynda
. --

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses