homestead - Re: [Homestead] As I foretold you ...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] As I foretold you ...
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:51:49 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> I can get you the quotes from interviews from folks on the streets
> back when he first tossed his hat in the ring. In fact, words
> similar to that were used on this list.

I've never met an actual person who ever thought Obama was godlike.

Perhaps that is because you are from his state where people had a more realistic view. Plus, Marie, I'd imagine that most people you meet are as least as intelligent as you are. I've only driven through your neck of the woods, but I don't recall seeing a lot of minorities there, and it was the minority faction that mostly were referring to him as their Savior, with the capital S. Those factions would include people of color, of course, but also immigrants, the gay and lesbian community, and to some extent, new vets and those disenchanted with the justice system, notably, prisoners. I do recall seeing a huge prison, but that was in southern IL, and I doubt you would have much dealing with prisoners anyway. :)

He's been about what I expected although I'm more than a little
pissed off that he hasn't gotten rid of the Patriot Act. OTOH, it's
always a big temptation of the power of the presidency to grab
everything that the people are willing to cede. Plus, I think that
hiring the villains who brought us the current financial disaster to
continue running the financial show will possibly be the one thing
that brings him down.
Well, there are still guys in orange down in Gitmo...we still have solders in Iraq...gay marriage is still illegal in my state... the Muslim world still hates us...etc. etc.
I really don't see that his presidency has brought us any more respect in the international world-it was supposed to...
I really don't see am era of healing between the races that his presidency was supposed to usher in..
I really don't see any improvement in the economy, just bigger government ready to remove even more of my freedom.(President Obama surely doesn't have the patent on making the government larger and more powerful, he is just the latest joker to do so "for the people".

I'm actually rather amazed that he hasn't sent troops to Darfur, Somalia, or other places in Africa. Of course, there are 3 years left in his reign. I tell ya though, people here think he is a one term President, but I know I live in a Blue State. Sometimes, when one is so totally surrounded by one view, it is hard to see things from a different perspective. Thankfully, we have the internet, and I can talk to all of you who see things from a different perspective. Believe it or not, I am STILL trying to find the silver lining in all of this...I really did hope he would have a spine and some class and tell Pelosi and Co. to back off.

OTOH, any idiot could see that the mess that the previous four
presidents left us would take a couple of generations to fix.
The problem with this argument is that President Obama is not going in the right direction. He hasn't even dropped the sails and anchor to slow the boat down. He continues down the same path as his predecessors, even speeding up our country's demise with overspending. Check out the first chart on this page to see what I mean. The projections are through 2012. Interestingly, looking at data on this chart puts Obama in the same class as Reagan and the Bush family when it comes to spending. It actually makes Clinton look good! Clinton seems to have slowed the boat, even after 20 years of Republican spending(not counting Carter, who, as we all know, was ineffective in most things).

Here's a lecture by Rick Perlstein that gives an opinion on why
Obama's presidency has been a disappointment:

I can't wait to look at it. Thankfully, I can now...I've been online more than usual today, so I am close to the threshold max. I'll wait until 2 am when there is no speed limit on Hughesnet. Still loving it, though.
Anyway, there's no shame in being disappointed in someone you had hoped would do well. I did not vote for Bush, but was disappointed in him just like the millions who did. I don't know how the United States of America will pull itself out of this mess.

--
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson