homestead - Re: [Homestead] As I foretold you ...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] As I foretold you ...
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:22:05 EDT

> >Even if there was no political opposition, wouldn't there be a problem
> if the entire SS trust fund was invested in stocks, bonds etc?

The first problem is that it isn't just a matter of Congress legislating an
SS savings account or actual money pool. It would require a constitutional
change to do so. One of the founding principle of the government as it is
set up is to disallow it to hold monetary funds.

>> It seems to me that one fund that large would not be good for the economy?
> Interested in opinions on that from some who are more into economics.

Look what would have happened if all the (fake) funds in SS had been
invested in stocks three or four years ago. Half of it would have been lost
out
right. The difficulty is that SS was never concieved of as an account or
kitty of funds. It was a direct tax to be collected and disbursed within
that
same year. The idea that you have an "account" with the SS is a matter of
semantics and not reality in any usual meaning of "account".

At any rate it's a moot point now. There is no longer an surplus. There's
nothing by any defintion to put into an account or invest in stocks. All
the money collected in taxes this year will be disbursed as benefits and then
fall short.

</HTML>