homestead - Re: [Homestead] Communications

  • From: Mark Stutzman <mark AT transvantage.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Communications
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:34:21 -0500

Why don't you like GMail, Gloria? If it's just their web interface, you can use whatever email client you want. I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird (basically an open-source clone of Outlook Express, w/o all the file corruption issues of OE) to access my GMail account as POP3, and it works fine. I'm not enamored with GMail's web interface, but I never really bothered to learn it, since I don't really use it too often.

-mark

Gloria Morris wrote:
On the gmail thing, I too switched to gmail some years ago with the
idea that no matter which ISP I switched to, I could retain my email
address and thus avoid the headaches associated with switching
addresses. I'm less enthusiastic about gmail now than I was back then,
however. Honestly, if I were picking a web-based email today, I'd
probably go with something else. But now I'm stuck - my email address
is on every bit of business correspondence, etc. It would be very
difficult to change now!

At any rate, web based email can free you from being stuck with an ISP
that does not meet your needs. But there is no utopian answer to email
needs, as sometimes one web based service will fall behind another in
terms of service, and you still feel stuck! LOL!

Gloria